DTX FORUM

Got questions? The DTX community is here to help.

The mail function has been disabled by an administrator.

1. Tony
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. Monday, 10 February 2020
I wanted to add a pad to my standard 522 kit for percussion sounds (a cowbell, woodblock, handclap... whatever) so I wanted something quite small and inexpensive. I presume it would only need to be single-zone and I wanted something more compact than getting another Tom sized pad.

Any ideas for any suitable pads that I could add?

Thanks,

Tony.
Accepted Answer
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Tony wrote:

Incidentally, the 522K comes with a hit-hat pad and two cymbal pads (a crash and a ride). If I wanted to add another crash cymbal, are there any particular models of pads which might be recommended as an expansion for the 522K, or just another of the PCY100 pads?

Anything you like, really. Pref a Yamaha PCYxxx. Plenty of choices in the range. 10,60,65,80,90,100,130,125,150,155 etc

Tony wrote:
Finally if anyone knows which input I might want the y-splitters on - so the extra pads default to a cowbell and an extra cymbal on the default kits without having to create custom kits for each one - that would be super-handy!

There won't a default that matches your exact needs for every factory kit, no. But it only a takes a minute to config a kit.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # Permalink
Votes
Undo
Hiya.

You didn't say your location or budget.

Any pad will work - they're all just £0.50 / $0.75 piezos.

If you want inexpensive, then 2nd user TP65 pads are cheap at £10-15 in the UK on ebay.

If you want more compact, then a tube-pad, maybe, e.g.
https://www.amazon.com/Pintech-Percussion-NR6-B-Tubular-Trigger/dp/B0002F78KS

or the same from DrumTec, etc
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Fantastic, thanks for that.

And sorry, yep... I'm in the UK and didn't have a particular budget in mind. Something compact was my main concern. The tube pad seems like it might do the trick. I'll have a look at what's around in the UK.

Thanks again for such a quick and helpful reply! :)

Incidentally, the 522K comes with a hit-hat pad and two cymbal pads (a crash and a ride). If I wanted to add another crash cymbal, are there any particular models of pads which might be recommended as an expansion for the 522K, or just another of the PCY100 pads?

Finally if anyone knows which input I might want the y-splitters on - so the extra pads default to a cowbell and an extra cymbal on the default kits without having to create custom kits for each one - that would be super-handy!
Comment
  1. Ian
  2. 7 months ago
The extra crash input would go into the extra input on the kick pad and will only be single zone so you can buy the most basic PCY90AT cymbal pad. Not sure about which inputs will default to a cowbell but the extra cymbal put into the kick pad should default as the second crash.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Excellent, thanks to you both. Very helpful and I've got some extra bits on order now!
Comment
  1. Ian
  2. 7 months ago
Happy to help, let us know how it goes!
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
I ended up getting a PCY95 as an extra crash cymbal and also a secondhand Roland BT-1 trigger to act as a cowbell. After a bit of faffing (the first y-splitter I bought didn't work as it probably wasn't true stereo male to two mono female and I just got the Tom Tom sound from both pads), I got everything working. And the Tom 2 input even defaulted the second pad to cowbell, so no need to even create custom kits :)

In retrospect, I wish I'd spent a little more and bought another PCY100, instead of the PCY95 as the 95 seems harder/noisier rubber and doesn't seem as sensitive as the PCY100. But, hey, it's working at least!

Thanks again for your help and advice with this.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Cool. Ta for the update :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
2020 © Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.