DTX FORUM

Got questions? The DTX community is here to help.

The mail function has been disabled by an administrator.

1. Kevin
  2. Sherlock Holmes
  3. DTX Drum Circle
  4. Wednesday, 14 October 2015
With the popularity of adding electronics to acoustic drums (making a HYBRID KIT) we wondered "How do you HYBRID?"

Tell us!

The way I like to use DTX with my acoustics is to trigger a kick sound from my bass drum. This goes to FOH (front of house) and also to the bass player's in-ear monitors. This helps the band's overall sound in several ways. By using a clean kick sound from the module there is no feedback when turning it up, so that it can be blended with my acoustic sound. When the balance is right it is as if the bass drum were being mic'd. Also, by adjusting the volume of my foot in his in-ear monitors, our bass player feels more comfortable and is able to lock-in with me much, much better than if he had to strain to hear what I was playing.

For bigger venues or outdoor gigs I will also trigger the snare drum and the toms so that the PA system will not feedback and the drums can be mixed high enough to compete with the levels of the guitar amps.

So - HOW DO YOU HYBRID? :D
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Paul wrote:

Maybe this link will work???
Title

Worth a try anyway...

Yup :)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX Drum Circle
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Maybe this link will work???
Title

Worth a try anyway...
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX Drum Circle
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
OK Thanks.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX Drum Circle
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Hi Paul...

(unfortunately, Yamaha didn't set this forum up properly and screwed up the MIME typing, so pictures don't work....)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX Drum Circle
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
HI Tom,
I realize this is an old discussion but I'm new to this site. I have used a DTX500 kit for many years for practice as well as gigs. It has always performed well but I felt lacking in some expression and stage "look"...
I have now upgraded to the DTX502 module with DT50S/DT50K triggers over mesh drum heads on acoustic shells and incorporating the Yamaha cymbal and Hi-Hat pads and an old TP65 as percussion trigger.
I hope you like my photos.
Paul - Australia
Attachments (2)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX Drum Circle
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Nice setup! Anyone else?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX Drum Circle
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
FYI, here's my version of a 'hybrid' edrum setup without acoustic gear due to space and noise limitations in my apartment (https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r5yi6hjyah6a1z/DM10%20Rack%20%26%20Synth.jpg?dl=0).
Each DTX Multi-12 is an integral part of the rig for playing its own kits or to midi control extra sounds in the DM10 and MPX16 modules.

For a more typical hybrid setup, it makes sense to combine the Multi-12 with an acoustic drum kit for extra percussion sounds in a compact multipad (although it requires some tweaking). It includes 12 built-in pads plus external inputs for a 2/3-zone trigger pad and 4 single-zone drum triggers (like DT10 & DT20)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX Drum Circle
  3. # 7
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
2021 © Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.