Ian
Ian
Resolved
0 votes
Hello, newbie here, and I just purchased a used DTX562K kit, with the 502 module. I want to use the ipad app to configure it (it's also an easier interface for my son to use). My ipad has a lightning connector, and I understand that I need the Apple USB/camera adapter and a USB-A to USB-B cable. However, now there are lightning to USB-B cables available, which perhaps weren't when all of the instructions for connecting the ipad were written.

My question: is the Apple lightning to USB-A adapter absolutely necessary for some reason, or can I simply use a Lightning to USB-B cable?

Thanks in advance :)
Wednesday, March 06 2019, 01:14 PM
Share this post:
Responses (5)
  • Accepted Answer

Jordan
    Jordan
    Thursday, March 07 2019, 06:48 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Hey Ian!

Great question and to be completely honest, I haven't experimented with the other cable(s) yet.

I'm going to order one today though and see if it works. Their might be little drivers inside of the cam kit that assist with the signal transfer, but maybe the cable you're referring to without a cam kit could work.

I'll let you know as soon as I test it out.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Ian
    Ian
    Sunday, March 10 2019, 12:53 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up ordering one myself, and should have it in the next few days. I'll also report my findings when I get it. :)
  • Accepted Answer

Ian
    Ian
    Monday, March 11 2019, 07:31 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Ok, so I ordered a lightning to USB-B cable from Amazon and received it today, and lo and behold, it worked! I'm using my son's ipad mini 3 running ios 12.1.4. I plugged the cable into the ipad, then into the DTX502, then turned on the module. The app displayed a message that the firmware on the 502 needed updating. The update process was simple and took all of three minutes. Upon initial use of the app, it seems very straightforward and easy to adjust settings. The app window is iphone screen-sized, so you have to press the expand icon in the bottom right corner of the ipad to make the app larger.

To conclude, it seems that the usb camera adapter is not necessary to connect the 502 to an ipad with a lightning connector; just a lightning-to-USB-B cable. I also downloaded the Yamaha Visual Performer app, which my son likes to watch while he's playing. Overall a great success! :)
  • Accepted Answer

Jordan
    Jordan
    Monday, March 11 2019, 07:50 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Awesome news Ian!

We just received ours today but glad you beat me to the punch!

So happy to see that these work on our end also.

Any questions you have please reach out Ian!

Jordan
  • Accepted Answer

Steve
    Steve
    Saturday, December 28 2019, 06:16 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Hello. Can you point us to the cable you bought? Thanks.
Your Reply