Brian
Brian
Resolved
0 votes
Hi folks, I'm seriously considering the purchase of a Yamaha DTX drum set and this is probably a silly question, but it will help me decided on whether I have to go with a DTX900 module or I can get away with a DTX700. I believe I'd be just fine with the DTX700 and I really like the fact that there is an iPad app, but I want to add 2 more pads.

In the Resources section of this site, there are instructions on adding pad to the DTX700 module and it reads:
"1. Plug the new pad into a trigger input (1-11) of the DTX700 and turn on the DTX700.
2. From KIT mode, press [F2] TRIGGER and use the data-wheel to select the trigger setup for your kit." etc...

The back of the DTX700 has a 12th input marked "HH-KICK". I believe this is to be used if you plan to use the hi-hat pedal as a kick drum for a double bass kit. My question is this... Can the #12 input be reprogrammed for another cymbal or drum pad? Is that why the above instructions refer to inputs 1-11, not 1-12? I already plan to add a drum pad to #11 and I'd like to add a cymbal pad to #12 or vice versa.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Tuesday, January 30 2018, 05:07 PM
Share this post:

Accepted Answer

David
David
Tuesday, January 30 2018, 08:54 PM - #Permalink
Resolved
0 votes
Add the cymbal to #11 to get 2/3 zones and the extra pad to #10 either with a y-cable or via the thru port on the kick pad.

Once you've run out of physical inputs you can expand massively using the MIDI IN port and using a trigger-to-MIDI converter or another (dumber!) module.
The reply is currently minimized Show
Responses (2)
  • Accepted Answer

Brian
    Brian
    Thursday, February 01 2018, 02:33 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Thanks, David! Now, you've gotten me so psyched up to get the DTX700!! I can't wait!! Are there any trigger-to-MIDI converters that work better with Yamaha pads and modules or any that I should avoid? I truly appreciate your help to this beginning e-drumer
  • Accepted Answer

David
    David
    Thursday, February 01 2018, 05:28 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Trigger-to-MIDI for extra pads? The easiest/cheapest is to buy an old DTX module. (DTX Pro, DTXpress I, II, III, DTX500, any with a DIN MIDI OUT...). You can get them for less than 100 of your local currency.
Your Reply