Dylan
Dylan
Resolved
0 votes
I have been using a DTX450K kit very successfully to send midi drums to AD3 in my computer. Everything working well.

I recently bought a 2nd hand DTX500 drum brain (firmware v1.2, have reset to factory settings) and have so far not been able to get my DTX450K series pads to trigger the DTX500 brain properly.

On the snare input the DTX500 is only showing a tiny input level from the main zone, and the two extra zones (rimshot and stick across) do not work at all. I have checked the Yamaha compatibility table, and it says that the TP70S should work with all 3 zones and the DTX500 input pad type for snare should be set to TP65S when using a TP70S pad.

On the tom inputs even with gain on 99 i am only able to trigger up to 50% level. (Have not tried kick and hats yet)

My snare pad is a TP70S, my Kick is a KP65, my Hats pedal is a HH65, i am unable to find any model number for my Tom and Cymbal pads either printed on the pads or listed on the interwebs, but they are the stock pads that come with the DTX450K kit.

I have tried with two different cables (TRS jacks and the stock DTX450K loom cables with small to big jack adaptor on DTX500 end) - identical issue with both cables.

The Yamaha compatibility chart says that the DTX450K triggers should work fine with the DTX500 brain - can anybody help me with getting my DTX450K triggers to actually trigger correctly?
Tuesday, January 07 2020, 09:30 AM
Share this post:
Responses (5)
  • Accepted Answer

David
    David
    Tuesday, January 07 2020, 11:26 AM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Should work fine.

Have you done a factory reset of the module?
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Dylan
    Dylan
    Tuesday, January 07 2020, 12:48 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Yes, factory reset done. Cant get trigger input level on trigger setup page to show more than 50% no matter how hard i hit the pad. Getting this issue with Snare and toms, have not yet tried kick or hats or cymbals.
  • Accepted Answer

Ian
    Ian
    Tuesday, January 07 2020, 05:25 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Hey Dylan, there should be a small volume knob on the back of the DTX500 module, make sure that is turned all the way up. I'm thinking that might be the problem? Let us know!
  • Accepted Answer

Dylan
    Dylan
    Wednesday, January 08 2020, 02:55 AM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Hi Ian, thanks for the reply - thats just the headphone output level, has nothing to do with incoming pad trigger level.

My issue is that on the screen "TRG2" where you configure each trigger, the area that shows how much incoming trigger level the DTX500 is receiving only shows 20% when hitting the pad at a normal hit, and up to 30% if i hit the pad really really hard. (All the pads work perfectly when triggering my DTX400 brain).

Have been through every "pad type" option in the TRG2 page, makes no difference. Yamaha compatibility chart says to use pad type "TP65S" when using a TP70S snare pad, which corresponds to "SN-3" on the TRG2 page trigger type selection, but i get almost no input level with SN-3, the trigger type option that gets me the most level is "SN-7", but even then i only get 20 - 30% input level when hitting the pad hard.
  • Accepted Answer

Ian
    Ian
    Wednesday, January 08 2020, 11:06 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Ok good to hear the volume knob is not the problem. Some players forget that it's there and wonder why their kit is so quiet.

I am curious what your "TRG1" setting is set to? Have you tried playing around with that parameter?

Have you also played around with the volumes of the individual pad voices on the "KIT3" page?

And how about the MIDI Velocity setting on "TRG3"? Try increasing it.

Lastly, I don't think this will help but you can play around with the velocity curves on "TRG4".

Good luck!
Your Reply