Simon
Simon
Resolved
0 votes
I've just purchased a nearly new DTX400 kit and want to use it to trigger sounds from a VST, such as EZDrummer2 or SSD, through a Windows 10 laptop. As a total newbie to edrums and midi I'm after some basic help to get the sounds I want to play along to songs on my phone (i.e. I'm not looking to record). Hopefully the DTX400 will be OK for this... Assuming so:

1. Do I need an interface between the drum module and my laptop, or can I connect directly?

2. Are there any benefits (low latency wise) with direct connection vs midi interface

3. If an interface is required/preferred, what would be a suitable (low cost) option?

4. Do I need a DAW? If so, are there any free/low cost ones that are worth looking at?

5. For rock drum sounds, what VST would be worth buying?

Appreciate any help to get me on the right road!

Thanks.

Simon
Monday, July 15 2019, 01:56 PM
Share this post:
Responses (3)
  • Accepted Answer

David
    David
    Monday, July 15 2019, 08:08 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    1. Direct. No choice. You have only USB - no DIN MIDI.
    2. No choice, see 1.
    3. No choice, see 1.
    4. Not necessarily need a full DAW. VST hosts are available.
    5. Nothing wrong with samples Yamaha rock drum sounds in the module. But if you really wanna play with software, there's loads of choice to buy. You'll get as many opinions as drummers! (it's a bit like asking "what's a good drum kit for rock".) Some of the main ones have trials - download a few and see what you think. There's also this you can play with for nothing https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

You will need a soundcard for the VST unless you already have a good one in your PC (unlikely it it's a laptop). Cheapest starter would be something like the Behringer UCA202.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Simon
    Simon
    Sunday, July 28 2019, 09:14 AM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Thanks for the info David.

I downloaded the Ezdrummer demo and asio4all drivers & connected the module directly to the laptop. It mapped fine, but the latency was bad (i.e. I could hear the stick strike the pad before the drum sound) irrespective of the buffer settings.

Would using the UC202 help with latency?

How would I connect to the UC202? Headphone out on the DTX module via a 1/4 jack to twin Rca input on the UC202?

Would using a DAW improve latency further?

Really appreciate your input.

Thanks
  • Accepted Answer

David
    David
    Tuesday, July 30 2019, 02:04 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Simon wrote:

Thanks for the info David.

I downloaded the Ezdrummer demo and asio4all drivers & connected the module directly to the laptop. It mapped fine, but the latency was bad (i.e. I could hear the stick strike the pad before the drum sound) irrespective of the buffer settings.

Would using the UC202 help with latency?

How would I connect to the UC202? Headphone out on the DTX module via a 1/4 jack to twin Rca input on the UC202?

Would using a DAW improve latency further?

Really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Latency comes from your computer's ability to receive a MIDI note, process it, select a sound and play that back through whatever audio hardware you have. This will be affected by a million things. CPU, Audio chipset, RAM, operating system etc etc etc

Using a UCA202 will help a bit as you're moving the audio processing off the PC. It's a soundcard. You don't connect it to the DTX. You connect to PC.

DTX --> MIDI/USB --> VST --> UCA202 --> Speakers/cans/whatever.
Your Reply